Monday, February 21, 2011

Review: Shadow Kiss

Title: Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)
Author: Richelle Mead
Release Date: November 13, 2008
Publisher: Razorbill
Cover Designer: Emilian Gregory
Age Audience: YA
Genre: Paranormal
Summary: For Rose Hathaway, everything seems out of kilter. Ever since she made her first Strigoi kills, a dark shadow has been creeping over her. Looming in the background, too, is another realization: If she follows her forbidden love for guardian Dimitri Belikov, she might lose her best friend forever. And these sleep-shaking worries couldn't have come at a worse time. The immortal unloving are prowling everywhere, famished for vengeance against her.

My Review:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I really have mixed feelings about the Vampire Academy series. I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something about this series that makes it...shallow. No, shallow isn't the right word. Like I said, I can't really explain it.

Anyways, on the the review of this particular book.
(Here come the spoilers! Don't tell me you weren't warned!)
I already knew that Dimitri was going to turn Strigoi because I had heard spoilers from the Internet, but it still came as a bit of a shock to me. Usually I read Vampire Academy books when I have nothing else to read, but I finished this wanting the next one! Still, I wasn't attached enough to the characters to cry. If I had been reading Eragon (for example) and something like this happened, I would be blubbering like a baby.

Speaking of the characters, there is a lack of character development in this series, at least where Rose is concerned. Although it's true that she isn't as slutty as she was in the first book, her manners certainly haven't improved. Then again, you know how boring this series would get if she was like Lissa?

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! I have read this whole series, the first 4 books twice. An I have to say I agree with your assessment with the character development.

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment, so thank you in advance!

**This blog is an award-free zone.**